How Do I File a Complaint Against My HOA in Florida?

angry couple claiming to a businesswoman at office

You may love your house or condo and the location that you live in, but you may not always agree with the homeowners association or condo association that you have to deal with from time to time. This means you could end up having to take legal action against HOA and may need to check out an example complaint against a homeowners association. 

There are certain Florida HOA laws that govern HOA disputes that fall under Florida HOA laws. That is why it is best for you to contact a Dade County HOA lawyer to assist you so that you will have a better chance of getting the outcome you want from the situation.

Homeowners associations (HOAs), from time to time, end up in potential legal conflicts with their residents. These HOA or condo association disputes are often resolvable through means other than going to court. While residents may represent themselves in these disputes, there are distinct advantages to hiring an attorney experienced in handling similar cases.

Know Your Rights as a Homeowner

If you are in dispute with your homeowners association, it would be a good idea to look up and learn about current Florida homeowner association laws. You can even try to find an example complaint against a homeowners association before enlisting the help of a Dade County HOA lawyer, who can then help you file your complaint and guide you properly through the legal action you may need to take. 

This is the key to bringing a case against a homeowners association and coming out on top. There are very specific rights that you have as an association owner of your own property that the HOA must adhere to.

It is important to enlist the help of an experienced attorney who knows the ends and outs of homeowner association laws and how to remedy disputes since they may have already represented unit owners or associations in the past in similar cases.

Possible Disputes with Homeowner Associations

Below is a list of the different types of cases that your complaint may fall under when it comes to your dispute with your homeowners association or condo association.

  • If you are experiencing any type of discrimination from your homeowners association, this can definitely be a violation of the law, and you will need to enlist the help of an attorney.
  • If your homeowners association denies your plans to renovate your condo or unit, you may have recourse and be able to proceed with your plans.
  • Many times, homeowners associations will elect officers for their organization, and you may have an election dispute with one of those positions.
  • If your homeowners association has levied some type of fines and violations against you, there may be some type of recourse you can take to remedy the situation without having to pay any money out of pocket to the association.
  • If the homeowners association has failed to provide proper maintenance that they are responsible for, you can definitely file a dispute against them through your Florida homeowners association attorney.
  • Pet-related disputes can come up between you and your homeowners association if those issues have not been addressed in your agreement with the association ahead of time.
  • If you attempt to resist certain actions taken by the board that you deem unlawful, you will need the help of an attorney to file an official complaint.

How To File a Complaint

To file a complaint against a Homeowners Association (HOA) in Florida, you need to fill out a Condominium/Cooperative Complaint Form and file it directly with the Division of Florida Condominiums, Timeshares, and Mobile Homes. You can do this on your own or enlist the assistance of your Florida attorney, who can file it for you. 

Be sure to include all of the details of the allegations you have against your HOA and provide any type of documentation, photos, and even timelines of events you have recorded. You can also obtain an example complaint against the homeowners association if you need one to fill out your complaint form.

Contact Our HOA Lawyer

When you are dealing with a dispute between yourself and your homeowners association or condo association, it is imperative that you enlist the assistance of an attorney who has the experience and knowledge necessary to file your complaint and litigate it in court. The attorneys at the Ferrer Law Group have the experience and education necessary to file your complaint with your HOA or condo association to achieve the results that you want to happen in your specific situation. Call us today for an appointment and be on your way to resolving your HOA issue.

Legal Disclaimer: The materials within this website are for informational purposes only. They are not legal advice and should not be used as such. Transmission of the information in this website is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Internet users and readers should not act upon this information and should seek professional legal counsel.